3-Day Pathfinder Survival Course
3 DAY Basic Survival Course
December 6-8, 2018. San Saba, TX.
Badger Claw Leatherworks is proud to host Dave Canterbury and the Pathfinder Survival School to offer this course in San Saba, Texas!
Classes limited to 24 students
Link to location: San Saba, TX
Registered Participants will meet at 9am on December 6th in downtown San Saba,TX and travel to the class location together.
A Patch Qualification Course
The purpose of the Basic Survival Class is to provide students with the knowledge to survive a 72 hr. emergency scenario, using the items the 10 C's of Survivability. The multi-functionality of the items within the kit will be discussed, demonstrated and applied to self-aid situations, Fire Craft, Shelter Construction and Water Collection.
Basic does not mean easy, it means the essential facts or principles of a subject or skill. Our essentials will revolutionize your outdoor training by pushing you beyond the limits you would otherwise push yourself. You can expect to walk an overall average of 3-4 miles over the entire course carrying your gear (approx 35lb) along with collected woodland materials as needed for projects.
During your first night at camp, you may utilize your hammock, tent or other comfort items you regularly camp with, but by 8am on the Morning of Day 2, they must be packed away and put back in your vehicles before class begins. On day two and three, you will rely solely on your survival kit for the rest of the class spending the last night with your kit in a woodland environment. You will complete various timed exercises at times individually and as part of a team. Each deliverable is designed to make you more self reliant. If you don't give up on yourself, we won't give up on you. We will also take many tasks slower to ensure you have retained the knowledge working in an EDI (Educate, Demonstrate, Imitate) fashion of training.
Click Here for the Required Equipment List
IMPORTANT: Regardless of your experience or skill level in the woods, the Basic class is an intense class and is the foundation from which all of the other classes are built. This class will require hikes of 1-2 miles for collecting sticks and navigation courses daily over terrain which may be very muddy and uneven while carrying your gear. Parking is located at the camp site however potable water and bathrooms are NOT. The site is however just a couple mile drive from downtown San Saba, TX. The second night of the course you will be required to sleep in a temporary shelter that you will construct as part of the final exercise and you will have limited gear for comfort- no exceptions are made unless you leave the course entirely
If you suffer from a medical condition or chronic pain, please bring your prescribed medicines with you. If you have recently undergone surgery or a hospital stay within the last 30 days, DO NOT attempt this course until you have had more time to recuperate.
It is highly recommended that you physically prepare yourself at least a month in advance to this or any other Pathfinder course by hiking/ walking regularly (at least 3 times weekly) for 5K working up to a pack weight of 50lb before the class begins. As the premier school of self-reliance, our training exceeds that of any other school in the nation; so please take it seriously and take the time to physically prepare. It is strongly recommended to take the Basic class before taking an Intermediate or Advanced class (anything above the Basic class). Again, this class is the Foundation, and without it, you may not pass more advanced level classes. No refunds will be issued for classes you do not pass or those you quit.
Non Patch Qualification Policy:
- When a student enrolls it is fully expected that they intend to certify in Basic Survival (by going for the patch); we do not allow anyone to remain in camp without instructors present. If you fall behind due to an inability to complete assigned tasks, but are keeping up and doing your best- GREAT! Keep it up and complete the course to the best of your ability. However, should you be hindered in your ability to keep up with the group due to physical injury or other health problem(s), we will go above and beyond to get you back in the game by aiding in your mobility, administering hydration and personal motivation! But, should those efforts fail, you may be unable to complete the course at which time you will need to leave the school grounds.
- If you quit at any point during the course, a helper will be assigned to aid you in packing your equipment so you may leave the grounds.
- Again, it is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE, to complete the course without qualifying for the patch, just let your instructor know that this is your desire.
- To those graduating from the course a Basic Patch and Certificate of Completion shall be issued to you signed by the Instructional staff.
- To those remaining throughout the course but did not meet the requirements of Patch Qualification a Certificate of Training shall be issued to you, signed by the Instructional staff.
- Both documents note Continuing Education Units awarded for which some employers may offer educational benefits.
Any student under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Young Adults 13 yrs old & older are full price.
- This class is not recommended for youths under age 13.
Class Purchase and Refund Policy
Once you purchase a class for The Pathfinder School, The Self Reliance Outfitters Store or a ticket for the Pathfinder Gathering, you have up to 21 days before the event or class to cancel and receive a refund. This will give us time to open your spot for someone else to purchase. Any cancellations past that threshold will not be eligible for a refund. A cancellation due to an emergency will be handled on a case by case basis and will only be eligible for a store gift card.
*IF The Pathfinder School needs to cancel a class all students signed up will need to contact the school and notify us if you wish to have a refund or store gift card. NOTICE: The Pathfinder School is not responsible for travel expenses or airline ticket expense if a class is cancelled